Applying for a Kenyan Transit Visa: The Step-by-Step Process
Kenya eVisa was introduced in 2005. Thanks to it, travelers can get a visa very easily without visiting the embassy or consulate.
The process of getting a visa is very simple; you just need to visit the website, click on the ‘Apply online’ button, fill out the application form, and wait for the processing. Then, receive your eVisa via email in PDF form and print it out.
We can distinguish three types of visa online: tourist, business, and transit visa. In this article, we will discuss the last one.
Kenya Transit Visa – Basic Information
If you want to visit Kenya to get on connecting flights, boats, trains, or buses, you need to obtain a transit visa valid for a period not exceeding 72 hours.
You can do it through the online process. Just prepare an electronic device with an internet connection and visit our website. Follow the simple instructions and get your visa.
In order to obtain a transit visa, you need to meet all the conditions, prepare the required documents, and pay the fee.
Note that, if you don’t leave the airport international transit zone, you don’t need a transit visa.
Requirements for Kenya Transit Visa
There aren’t many requirements when it comes to the transit visa. You just need to prepare:
- an electronic device with an internet connection
- a valid passport for at least 6 months (with 3 blank pages)
- a recent face photo
- a passport bio-data page photo/scan
- travel schedule (return/onward tickets, hotel reservation)
- means of payment.
How to Apply for Kenya Transit Visa
If you are connecting through Kenya within 72 hours, you need to apply for transit visas. Follow these simple steps:
- Check all the conditions and gather the required documents.
- Fill in the visa application form. Provide accurate information such as name, surname, date of birth, passport number, etc. Avoid mistakes as they may lead to delays.
- Cover the fee. Choose the best payment method for you (PayPal, debit/credit card, etc.).
- Wait for the processing. The time can be different for each case as it depends on many factors, however, it would be as fast as possible.
- Receive your transit visa via email in PDF form.
Validity Period of Kenyan Transit Visa
Kenya transit visa online can be used for a period not exceeding 72 hours. It is a perfect option for those who are connecting through Kenya and want to leave the airport transit zone.
List of Eligible Countries
Nationals from the following countries can apply for transit visas:
- Antigua and Bermuda
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo Democratic Republic
- Costa Rica
- Cote d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- French Guyana
- Guinea Bissau
- Hong Kong SAR
- Korea, North (DPR)
- Korea, South
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Palestinian Territories
- Pacific Isles
- Saint Christopher Cape
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Southern Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Timor East
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
Requirements on Arrival
When you cross the Kenyan border, you should remember about:
- a valid passport
- a printed Kenya transit visa.
Have these documents with you, as they will be checked by the proper authorities on arrival.
Kenyan Entry Points
You should cross the Kenyan border at the following entry points:
- Eldoret International Airport
- Garissa Airport
- Jomo Kenyatta airport – Nairobi
- Kisumu Airport
- Lamu Airport
- Lokichogio Airport
- Malindi Airport
- Moi Airport – Mombasa
- Wajir International Airport
- Wilson Airport – Nairobi
- Kilindini Seaport
- Muhuru Bay Old Port